Doctoral studies have at least 180 ECTS credits, with a previously achieved scope of studies of at least 300 ECTS credits in basic academic and master’s academic studies, that is, on the completed integrated academic studies. The doctoral dissertation is the final part of the doctoral study program.
The study program includes two study areas:
Structure of the study program
The study program Software Engineering and E-Business aims to provide students with top theoretical and practical knowledge and prepare them for original research in fundamental and applied areas of software engineering and e-business. Through research projects, students make original scientific, professional and social contributions in the fields of software engineering, e-business, information systems development in the Internet environment, artificial intelligence and the application of advanced information technologies. The outcome of the study program is the qualification of doctoral students for independent scientific research work in one of two study areas: 1) Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence, 2) E-Business. Conditions for enrollment in the study program are previously achieved at least 300 ECTS in undergraduate and master's academic studies (or integrated academic studies).
During the first three semesters, students take three courses each. By taking all courses, the student acquires a total of 90 ECTS (10 ECTS per course). The student's work is monitored by a mentor advisor from the ranks of teachers in the selected study area. In the fourth semester, students choose a potential mentor for a doctoral dissertation and start preparing an introductory paper for a doctoral dissertation, the defense of which earns 30 ECTS. By successfully defending the thesis, the student acquires the right to apply for the topic of the doctoral dissertation. During the fifth and sixth semesters, the student works on a doctoral dissertation with the defense of which he / she acquires 60 ECTS credits, and during the entire doctoral studies he / she acquires at least 180 ECTS credits.
By defending the doctoral dissertation, the student acquires the academic title: Doctor of Science - Information Systems. Conditions for transfer from other study programs within the same or related fields of study are determined by the statute of the Faculty and related decisions of the Teaching-Scientific Council.
Doctoral studies are organized through lectures, research work, practical work in laboratories and centers of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences, preparation and defense of the thesis and doctoral dissertation. During their studies, the doctoral student makes their own original scientific contributions in the field that is the subject of the doctoral dissertation.
The purpose of the study program
The purpose of the study program is to educate students and train them for independent and quality scientific research work in the field of software engineering, artificial intelligence, e-business, information systems in the Internet environment and related scientific disciplines. The study program Software Engineering and E-Business is designed so that:
- introduces students to the latest and most valuable scientific achievements,
- enable students to critically evaluate available scientific results and identify open research problems,
- enable students to plan, organize and implement scientific experiments, analyze results and draw relevant conclusions based on research,
- enable students to participate and lead scientific research projects and teams,
- encourages students to publish the results of scientific research work in national and international conferences and journals.
Graduates of doctoral studies should improve their knowledge and skills, and acquire competencies that will enable them to contribute to the further development of society in the fields of education, scientific research, development of new technologies, methodological procedures, development of innovative products and services.
The study program Software Engineering and E-Business is in line with the vision, mission and goals of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences and the existing organizational structure. It integrates the fields of informatics, especially information systems, software engineering and e-business. Within the study program, elective courses enable the profiling of doctoral students to meet specific social needs in the fields of informatics, information systems and technologies, software engineering and e-business. The study program is based on the application of the highest international academic and scientific standards and international quality criteria, in order to improve the international competitiveness of doctoral students, the Faculty of Organizational Sciences and the University of Belgrade.
Objectives of the study program
The main goal of the doctoral academic study program is for students to acquire the highest scientific abilities and academic skills in the field of software engineering, artificial intelligence, e-business, information systems and technologies and related disciplines. Acquisition of such abilities and skills is based on the mastered methodology of scientific research work and is necessary in order to:
- improving the creative potential of candidates in the identification, conceptualization, specification and implementation of innovative solutions to practical problems,
- developing the ability of critical and constructive thinking of candidates who can withstand scientific criticism,
- development of skills for teamwork or leading scientific research projects,
- mastering the skills necessary for professional performance of work and successful career development in scientific research and innovation.
The goals of the study program of doctoral academic studies Software Engineering and E-Business are based on modern directions of software engineering and e-business development, harmonized with similar study programs in the world and in accordance with the recommendations of leading world authorities in this field. The development and application of modern information technologies, as well as the necessity of digital transformation in various spheres of business and human activity have a significant impact on the goals, structure and content of this study program. The study program is designed so that by attending it, the student becomes a highly qualified researcher in the field of informatics, ie. information systems and technologies, software engineering and e-business. The student acquires quality knowledge and skills based on the application of modern information technologies and methodologies, which enable him a scientific approach in identifying, analyzing and solving complex problems. The professional competencies of students acquired during these studies will contribute to:
- raising the level of competitiveness in the local and world labor market,
- innovation in the work of academic and research institutions,
- improving the work of companies that are open to new approaches and solutions in the field of e-business, software engineering and information systems,
- development of the information society as a whole.
The set goals of the study program are harmonized with the basic tasks and goals of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences listed in the Statute of the Faculty, as well as the University of Belgrade.
Competences of graduate students
The program of doctoral studies Software Engineering and E-Business enables students to have the knowledge, skills, developed abilities and competencies for:
- independent scientific research work, planning and implementation of theoretical and experimental research in the field of software engineering and e-business;
- application of advanced and specialized skills and techniques for solving open research problems;
- applying communication skills to explain and critique theories, methodologies and conclusions, and publish research results in accordance with international standards and principles of code of ethics and good scientific practice;
- communication of scientific research results with original scientific contribution at scientific conferences, publication in reputable international journals with impact factor, development of patents and new technical solutions;
- writing proposals for scientific research projects and participating in the implementation of projects in the fields of software engineering and e-business;
- participation in the development of standards, protocols, architectures and methods for the development of software and complex e-business systems;
- providing consulting services related to innovations in complex software systems and e-business systems;
- involvement in educational work in the field of informatics at the secondary and higher education level.
By mastering the study program, students acquire the following subject-specific competencies:
- thorough knowledge and understanding of the disciplines of software engineering, artificial intelligence, e-business and modern information systems;
- ability to solve problems using subject-specific theoretical knowledge, quantitative and qualitative scientific methods and procedures;
- ability to monitor modern achievements and identify key problems, trends in technology and e-business management, development of new technologies and procedures in the field of software engineering;
- ability to independently evaluate scientific results in order to improve existing and create new models, concepts, ideas and theories in the field of software engineering and e-business;
- modeling and implementation of innovative, reliable, scalable and distributed e-business systems based on mobile, cloud, IoT, big data, VR, AR and blockchain technologies and computer simulation;
- independent software development, with detailed knowledge of current software technologies and development tools.
The competencies acquired by mastering the study program enable students to further their professional development in science, education, economy and the public sector.
The study program Software Engineering and E-Business includes two study areas: E-Business and Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence. Students choose a total of 9 courses arranged in four baskets (1 + 5 + 2 + 1 courses):
- In the first elective position there are two subjects: Methodology of scientific research work in technical and technological sciences and Software Engineering - selected chapters.
- Within the second election basket, the student chooses 5 subjects. The student can choose all subjects from one constituency or any 5 subjects from both constituencies. If the student selects all 5 subjects within one elective area, in the diploma supplement, in the section "Additional information about the student", there will be a description of the elective area for which he / she has chosen.
- Elective subjects E-business: E-business - selected chapters, Internet marketing and social media - selected chapters, Mobile business, Internet of smart devices and smart environments, E-education - selected chapters, E-health - selected chapters, Virtual and augmented reality, Cloud computing and software-defined networks, Big data and business intelligence in e-business, Intelligent data management in e-business, Blockchain in e-business - selected chapters, Risk management in e-business.
- Elective subjects Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence: Software Requirements Collection, Software Design - Selected Chapters, Software Design - Selected Chapters, Software Testing - Selected Chapters, Software Quality, Software Processing and Software Maintenance - Selected Chapters, Software Engineering Tools and Methods - selected chapters, Artificial Intelligence - selected chapters, Intelligent Systems - selected chapters.
- Within the third election basket, the student chooses two subjects. This basket contains all items from basket two from both constituencies.
- The student chooses one course from the fourth elective basket, which includes courses: Competitive and distributed programming, Internet economics - selected chapters, E-business management - selected chapters, Cyber psychology - selected chapters, Engineering economics, Logic and methodology for software engineers, Software project management - selected chapters. In addition, students are encouraged to choose subjects from the curriculum of other study programs at FON or study programs of other faculties, in accordance with the Law.
In the first semester, students choose one subject from the first elective position and two elective courses from the study area. In the second and third semesters, students choose three elective courses, so that in each semester they choose 30 ECTS credits (10 ECTS credits per course). The fund of active teaching classes is 1 + 0 + 3. By taking all courses, the student acquires a total of 90 ECTS. During the first three semesters, students are trained for independent scientific research, planning and implementation of theoretical and experimental research in the field of software engineering and e-business. In the fourth semester, students begin to prepare an introductory paper for a doctoral dissertation, the defense of which earns 30 ECTS. During the first two years of doctoral studies, students are encouraged to announce scientific research results with original scientific contributions at scientific conferences, publish in national and international journals, to develop technical solutions in the field of software engineering and e-business. During the fifth and sixth semesters, the student works on a doctoral dissertation and prepares papers for publication in the most prestigious international journals with an impact factor. The procedure for applying for, preparing and defending a doctoral dissertation is determined by the general acts of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences and the University of Belgrade.
The condition for applying for a doctoral dissertation is that the student has passed the nine exams provided for in the study program and defended the entrance paper. The condition for the defense of the doctoral dissertation is at least one paper published in a journal of international importance with an impact factor and which is on the SCI, SCIe or sSCI list. The outcome of the study program is a written and defended doctoral dissertation which is an independent original scientific work of the student in which the applied theoretical and practical knowledge is presented, in accordance with international standards and principles of code of ethics and good scientific practice.
Quality, relevance and international compliance of the study program
The study program Software Engineering and E-Business is harmonized with modern world trends and the state of science in the fields of software engineering and e-business, as well as with accredited programs of foreign higher education institutions. The study program is complete and comprehensive and is harmonized with other study programs of FON.
The study program is harmonized with:
- Strategy for the Development of the Information Society in the Republic of Serbia until 2020.
- Recommendations of the IEEE and ACM of relevant world professional organizations in the field of computing, published at: https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/ education / curricula-recommendations / it2017.pdf and https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/education/gsew2009.pdf, as well as the characterization of the field of software engineering given in the document Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge ( SWEBOK) published at https://www.computer.org/education/bodies-of-knowledge/software-engineering/v3, backed by the two organizations and a number of prominent companies in the software industry today
- Recommendations of Gartner and other important consulting companies in the field of IT
- Digicomp 2.0
- Digital Competence Framework - European Union Strategies, such as the Digital Single Market Strategy, which aims to strengthen Europe's position as a leader in the digital economy. On this occasion, policies were created for: Big Data, Cloud Computing, E-education, Internet of Intelligent Devices, Smart Cities.
- Programs and trends at the world's most important universities
The study program Software Engineering and E-Business is harmonized with the study programs of doctoral studies, among which are:
Similarity with other study programs:
- University: Concordia University, Canada Program: Software Engineering
- University: University College London, UK Program: Computer Science MPhil / PhD
- University: Carnegie Mellon University, USA Program: Software Organization and Properties , Software Notations and Tools, Software Creation and Management
- University: University of Ottawa, Canada Program: E-business
- University: TU Wien, Austria Program: Vienna PhD School of Informatics
- University: New Castle University, United Kingdom Program: Cloud computing for big data
- University: Minho University, Portugal Program: Information systems and technologies